Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Stuff

Why do we pack and unpack stuff that is not essential in our lives? This was the question that kept running through my mind while looking at our daunting stacks of boxes. How can we possibly have this much stuff!? Which got me to thinking about why we insist on lugging around nonessential items.

When I opened one of the many boxes marked 'kitchen', I took inventory: dish rack, dish cloths, dish soap, sponges, a pencil, some beads, and three spoon rests. Wait! This box held exactly everything that was on my kitchen counter when in Virginia. Could packing up every single thing, even though most items could be easily obtained once settled, be a coping mechanism?
Was I packing the secure surroundings of my Charlottesville, into a box hoping to transport that security to a new home? Hummmm. maybe. But really, three spoon rests? beads? a pencil?!

Yes, its time to purge...downsizing is more than just cutting our square footage in half, its cutting the ties, loosening the anchors, and coping with change.

No comments:

Post a Comment