Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Fresh Paint Always Makes a Difference

My sister once told me, "if you really want to clean your house, paint the walls". As I power washed the front of the Hut, I noted all the crap and dirt that flowed off the porch--she had a point. Over the past 10 days I've been busy painting, setting up house, getting ready to homeschool our rising 1st grader, and working every morning from 6AM to 1230PM. I have to say, i'm starting to settle into a routine, which for me, provides comfort.

Our little hut is quite cozy. At first I thought that we would be stepping all over each other in the 576 sq ft living space. But in actuality, its plenty of room to live and not feel cramped. Although we had to put most of our furniture and 1/2 of the kids toys in the storage space (because they won't let us sell ANYTHING at the garage sale we're having next weekend!).

I'm starting to like living with little. Not too long ago, I heard about a project called What Not to Wear: The Six Items or Less Project. The project dares you to live off of six items of clothing for a month. I thought, "I could do this, now that I don't go into an office everyday". So, I'm in the process of doing "The 10 Items or Less Project"-year round! Can I do it??? More to come on this challenge. Now back to the paint!

I decided to put a coat of paint onto the front of the hut even though, eventually, the front will be covered by pine shingles. Check out the before and after below. Matt's Mom suggested that I paint a mural on the top that is still the old color. What a great idea!!! I've always wanted to paint a mural, so here's is my opportunity (she's always presenting me with awesome opportunities). Any ideas? I've thought of a couple, a sun like the Save Tibet image, or the awesome sunset that simmers golden, silhouetting the pine trees everyday. What do you think? Suggestions??






4 comments:

  1. Wow!!!! it looks great! And I'm so excited for your family! Glad to hear you are getting settled! love reading your family blog!!

    Take care
    Amanda and Gavin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks good, Mar. Indoor pics?
    Pop

    ReplyDelete
  3. Why pine shingles instead of redwood or cedar?

    ReplyDelete
  4. amazing!!

    Jen and Becker

    ReplyDelete